Information we collect and how it's used
McDonald's Restaurants (NZ) Ltd ("McDonald's") collects personal information about you in a number of ways, including: via our websites (including www.mcdonalds.co.nz), social media pages, and internal websites or intranet (each a “Website”); via our mobile and tablet applications (each an “Application”); when you sign up for or purchase products or services; and when you interact with us and provide personal information by any other means including either physically or electronically (“Collection Channels”).
Personal information that McDonald’s collects and holds may include your name, email address, delivery address, date of birth, phone number, payment method, social media handles, photographs of you and other identifying information you choose to provide via a particular Collection Channel.
McDonald’s does not intend to collect personal information from any person under the age of 14 years. Please do not provide personal information if you are aged under 14 years.
In common with many commercial websites we may also collect information which tells us about visitors to our website. For example, we may collect information about the date, time and duration of visits and which pages of the website are most commonly accessed. This information is generally not linked to the identity of visitors, except where the website is accessed via links in an email we have sent.
When you use a Website or Application, we may also collect personal information about you in the following general categories:
- Location information: If you permit an Application to access location services through the permission system in your mobile device, we may collect the precise location of your device when the Application is running in the foreground or background in order to deliver your order or to send you alerts such as the location of your nearest McDonald’s restaurant.
- Transaction information: We collect your transaction details when you place an order via a Website or Application, including the products you have ordered, the date and time of your order and the amount charged.
- Device information: We may collect information about your mobile device such as the hardware model, operating system, preferred language, unique device identifier and mobile network.
- Employee information: If you are a job applicant, an employee in one of our restaurants or our corporate office, or a former employee using a Website or Application as a part of your job we may collect information about the training modules you have completed, the forms you have submitted, the approvals you have given or received and other similar information related to your job.
- Other information: we may also collect and log information such as your IP address, access dates and times, browser type and pages visited when you interact with a Website or Application.
In addition to the information listed above, in some cases we may collect personal information about you from third parties, including:
- When you choose to create an account or register for a product or service via a Website or Application using a social media platform such as Facebook;
- When a third party has your consent to disclose your personal information to us, such as when you enter a competition or promotion administered by a third party on our behalf; and
- When it is otherwise lawful for a third party to disclose your personal information to us.
Active information collection
McDonald’s may collect your personal information via our Collection Channels when you:
- Purchase a product or make a booking through a Website or Application;
- Participate in any offers, marketing activities and/ or promotional activities;
- Contact us or provide us with information directly via any medium including a Website or Application, SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Message Service), IM (Instant Messaging) and email (Electronic Messages), social media platforms, mail, telephone and in person;
- Interact with a Website or Application for a specific purpose;
- Browse a Website or Application generally;
- Sign-up to or register an account via any Collection Channel; or
- Apply for employment with McDonald’s.
Mobile platforms such iOS and Android generally define certain types of information or data that applications cannot access without your consent. Each platform has its own permissions systems for obtaining your consent. You can generally manage your platform level permissions via the Settings section on your device. For more information please contact your device provider or refer to the user manual for your device.
Passive information collection
This website may use and combine such passively collected anonymous information to provide better service to website visitors, customize the website based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve the website for your use. Such information is not combined with personally identifiable information collected elsewhere on the website unless you have consented.
"Session" cookies are temporary bits of information that are used to improve navigation, block visitors from providing information where inappropriate (the website "remembers" previous entries of age or country of origin that were outside the specified parameters and blocks subsequent changes), and collect aggregate statistical information on the website. They are erased once you exit your Web browser or otherwise turn off your computer.
"Persistent" cookies are more permanent bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer and stay there unless you delete the cookie. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (such as passwords), helping to determine what areas of the website visitors find most valuable, and customizing the Web website based on your preferences on an ongoing basis. Persistent cookies placed by this website on your computer may hold personally identifiable information, but only if you have registered or have otherwise consented to the retention of personally identifiable information you have provided at the website. Otherwise, our website's server only knows that an unidentified visitor with your cookie has returned to the website.
You can set your browser to accept all cookies, to reject all cookies, or to notify you whenever a cookie is offered so that you can decide each time whether to accept it. To learn more about cookies and how to specify your preferences, please search for "cookie" in the "Help" portion of your browser.
A website may use Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. An IP address is a number assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider so you can access the Internet and is generally considered to be non-personally identifiable information, because in most cases an IP address is dynamic (changing each time you connect to the Internet), rather than static (unique to a particular user's computer). The IP address can be used to diagnose problems with a server, report aggregate information, determine the fastest route for your computer to use in connecting to a website, and administer and improve the website.
"Internet tags" (also known as single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, invisible GIFs, and 1-by-1 GIFs) are smaller than cookies and tell the Web website server information such as the IP address and browser type related to the visitor's computer. Tags may be placed both on online advertisements that bring people to the website and on different pages of the website. Such tags indicate how many times a page is opened and which information is consulted.
"Navigational data" (log files, server logs, and clickstream data) are used for system management, to improve the content of the website, market research purposes, and to communicate information to visitors.
Purposes of collection
McDonald’s may collect personal information for a number of purposes connected with our business operations which include the following primary purposes:
- For the purposes stated on a particular Collection Channel;
- Provide you with certain content, products or services requested by you;
- Allow you to use and enjoy the functionality of a Website or Application;
- Enter you into and administer promotions;
- Fulfil the obligations of any contract between you and McDonald’s;
- Manage your orders and facilitate payment;
- Contact you with direct marketing materials and personalised communications via any medium including mail, telephone, mobile and tablet applications, and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Message Service), IM (Instant Messaging) and email) or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel whether existing now or in the future and, if applicable, as selected by you;
- Provide, maintain and improve our products and services;
- Provide any technical, administrative or legal notices important to our Website and Applications;
- Customise a Website or Application based on your preferences;
- Administer and improve a Website or Application for your use;
- Compile and analyse statistics and trends;
- Provide you with relevant direct marketing materials with your consent when you use a Website or Application or those of a third party; or
- Manage your employment or process your application for employment with McDonald’s including McDonald’s franchisees and facilitate effective employment practices.
Not providing personal information via our Collection Channels may result in you being unable to register for certain products or services, participate in a promotion, access elements of a Website or Application, place orders, make contributions to a Website or Application and/ or McDonald’s being unable to provide you with relevant content, products and/ or services.
Not providing information
Failure to provide personal information may result in you being unable to register for certain products or services, participate in a promotion, access elements of a Website or Application, place orders, make contributions to a Website or Application, and/or in McDonald’s being unable to provide you with certain content, products or services and/ or accept promotion entries (where applicable).
Sharing of personal information
Companies may be engaged by McDonald's to perform a variety of functions, such as, fulfilling orders, assisting with promotions, providing technical services for our websites, etc. These companies may have access to personal information if needed to perform such functions. However, these companies may only use such personal information for the purpose of performing that function and may not use it for any other purpose.
McDonald's does not sell personal information to third parties. However, with your permission, we will, on occasion send marketing information on behalf of one of our business partners about products or services they provide that may be of interest to you. You may be asked if you wish to receive marketing materials from McDonald's business partners. If you elect to receive such materials, McDonald's will not share your personal information with such partners but rather will send a mailing or e-mail on behalf of the partners.
McDonald's reserves the right to use or disclose any information as needed to satisfy any law, regulation or legal request, to protect the integrity of the website, to fulfil your requests, or to cooperate in any law enforcement investigation or an investigation on a matter of public safety.
McDonald's is very sensitive to privacy issues. We are proud of our long-time commitment to our customers. We are especially careful in any communications with one of our most treasured customers - children. McDonald’s does not intend to collect personal information from any person under the age of 14 years. Please do not provide personal information if you are aged under 14 years.
We urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children's online activities.
Security of personal information
McDonald’s will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information recorded, and to keep this information accurate and up to date. The information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities. Access is restricted to those involved in administration or fulfilment of the competition entered or of any request for which you have provided your personal information.
In some cases these facilities may be overseas. McDonald’s employees and data processors are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by McDonald’s. However, security of communications over the Internet cannot be guaranteed, and therefore absolute assurance that information will be secure at all times cannot be given. McDonald’s will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to personal information.
You are in control of any personal information you provide to us. If at any time, you would like to correct the personal information we have about you or if you would like to change your preferences for contacts from us or on behalf of our business partners, you can let us know by contacting us at the email or postal address listed below. Your personal information may be stored in different locations depending upon the reason for which you originally submitted the information. The more information you can provide us about when you originally submitted your personal information, the quicker McDonald's will be able to retrieve your personal information.
In order to review any personal information we have about you or to ask us to delete that information or to stop further use of the information, please complete our online form to request this information. Please allow 14 days for this request to be processed.
Links to other sites
We may offer links to sites that are not operated by McDonald's. If you visit one of these linked sites, you should review their privacy and other policies. We are not responsible for the policies and practices of other companies.
McDonald's Restaurants (NZ) Ltd
McDonald's Privacy Officer
PO Box 6644
Phone: +64 9 539 4300